You did it! You landed your dream job. You’ve done the hard part – making your CV stand out and giving an impressive interview. Now the work really starts… it’s your first day!
“The recruitment process is the first step and it’s a great achievement to be selected for the job,” says Liz Felstead of Essential Results, the Stevenage-based recruitment agency. “Getting started means living up to your CV and interview promises. Of course starting a new job with new colleagues is daunting. It should be exciting too!”A successful first day in your new role is reassuring for you and your new employer. Here are some top tips for having a successful first day in your new role.
1. Start before you start! Read up on the company and check your travel plans. The more prepared you are, the more confident you feel.
2. Arrive 15 minutes early – not just on time! No excuses.
3. Keep an open mind. You have a completely fresh start with new colleagues and new challenges. Be friendly, enthusiastic and ready to learn.
4. Work hard. Hard work can be at least as important as talent to professional success.
5. Check out your creature comforts. You should be given a tour of your work space when you arrive. This is your chance to figure out where the loos and the coffees are. If no-one points out these important landmarks, ask.
6. It’s ok to ask. No one expects you to know everything on your first day. You learn and grow faster when you seek real understanding, so ask for help if you need it.
7. Eat lunch with your colleagues. It’s a great way to get to know them, to learn from them… and to have fun along the way! Try to join in with any social events – it’s a great way become part of the team, fast.
“A successful first day means you can look forward to settling in and enjoying your new role,” explains Liz. “We find that candidates with enthusiasm and a positive outlook settle into a new workplace and start to enjoy their new role quickly.”
She adds: “Remember that your new employer should take you through an induction process, introducing you to key contacts, the company culture and the tasks involved with your role. We liaise with all our clients to make sure that our candidates and the culture are a good match. The first day should be the start of a fabulous working relationship.”